Trick or Treat bags


I really love any type of holiday so they have become my excuse to do some craft projects. I have made these totes before but I only used 1 place mat folded it in half and made a smaller tote to carry my set of scriptures in. These were done with 2 place mats sewed together lengthwise to achieve that extra length for all those treats that are going to be piled in. I found the place mats at the dollar store!! We had a Do It Yourself class that made it easy to pin down a time to get these done. Although Nathan being Elders Quorum President had some last minute visits to make and still wanting to go to the class especially since Kelley was the instructor for the night (she really knows what she is doing with a sewing machine!!) I took all three of my boys with me. The other ladies, who each have at least 1 daughter of their own, I think got a taste of an all boy house! First it was the discussion of who's bag would be made first. Then they were being all too helpful and wanted to cut ribbon for me and stick it under the sewing machine or stick their fingers to close to the gears. They used my sewing pins to start a mini sword fight which I quickly ended upon hearing the first HI YAW! Kelley was great to take Justin for me and then told the boys how thirsty she was and wanted to see if they could help her find a water fountain! Kids on suggested tasks are always a good thing, keeps them occupied. The totes only take a few minutes if you don't have any interruptions I got the second tote done the next day while Clayton was at school, Justin was asleep and Hayden was fascinated with Popeye! Much better ;)

I am wondering about getting a new sewing machine or at least getting mine a tune up and repairs but if that is going to add up close to what a new one would cost I'd rather go new, so any suggestions? I won't be able to get the fancy of the fancies in a new machine but somewhere in the middle ground would be great! What is a good sewing machine to look at?

6 comments:

Keli said...

Cute! I can't believe I spaced that class. I might have to come by for a one on one. I'll bring my sewing machine so you can get a trial run. I have a Janome Magnolia, and it's awesome! Perfect for idiot sewers like myself.

Whitney said...

I wish I were talented with a sewing machine... :) Good for you!!

Sophie said...

those are AWESOME nice Fay gettin the crafty blood we all have from mom to use nice nice lol :] :] love ya

Brooklyn said...

Love them! Wish i were closer so the boys could share their yummies with me after Halloween. The placemats had the cutest designs! Good find.EM

Kelley Rae said...

Yay! They look great! I would suggest a Janome too - the same parent company of Pfaff and another fancy schmancy type of machine I can't think of right now, but more reasonably priced.

Anna said...

LOVE the bags, I'm headed to the dollar store!! You are so inspiring!

Sears sells a kenmore sewing machine that are really nice. It's a good middle of the road kind, not the cheapest, not the most expensive, and it has a lot of the fun stitches you might like.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02019110000P?keyword=sewing+machine