Bobsledding in JULY

Clayton has become a little bit wiser recently after trying something that to me is CRAZY!!
Here's His story:

Our family was getting our house, beds/bedding, and supplies ready for when we were going to be a host family to 3 boys and 1 older girl from, The Utah Valley Children's Choir, who are on a tour visiting 7 different states across the country giving their concert at Stake Centers. These kids were coming to stay from Saturday night until Monday morning. I had gone through some clothing of Hayden' and Justin's to see what is too little, what Justin can fit into soon, and what might need to go. Clayton got the cleaning bug and wanted to organize his action figure toys and display them all around his room. I told him I just cleared out a box and that we could cut a side open and cover the inside with paper making it a big scenery box to play with his superhero guys. He loved the idea and went upstairs to go get the box. That's is when I heard:

THUMP THUMP THUMP and a Big Bad BANG!!

Instead of just walking down the stairs, or even throwing the cardboard box down he decided to go ahead and get into the box and SLIDE DOWN the stairs!!

This is a picture of half of the stairs he had his wild ride on and his bobsled of choice. The other side of the picture is the big dent in my wall that the top of his head hit creating the BIG BAD BANG sound I heard from the basement. Once the box hit the last step Clayton's body flew forward hitting his head against the wall and he landed on his wrist. And this is how Clayton broke his Radius bone.I could tell Clay was in alot of pain especially when Justin tried to take his ice pack off his hand and really bumped it. I loaded the boys in the car and helped Clay keep his arm still with a pillow to rest on and took him to the immediate care. The doctors there confirmed my thoughts that he did indeed break a bone and put him in a temporary wrap and sling and we told to have Clayton's arm casted in 2 days.

Clayton had his wild ride on Thursday and we were able to get it casted on Saturday. He picked the color red for the cast. The doctor told me that the bones were not out of place at all but right at the break the bottom bone was sitting higher than the other so he formed the cast to apply pressure on the bottom bone to realign it again. The doctor told Clay "If your dad asks you, why is your cast crooked say, 'Crooked cast...straight arm'" The cast only has to be on for three weeks and Clayton should have any problems after that with his arm being able to function normally.


Clay is sad he can't go to the water park for awhile, and his already wants the cast off but knows that it will help him heal. I informed Clayton that he needed to wait for some snow and a hill and then I will provide all the cardboard boxes he could want to go sledding with the RIGHT WAY, with not wall at the end of his course!!

The First and probably not Last Cast of the Cottrell Boys!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What a bummer to have a cast in the summer! Ouch! I am glad that it wasn't something more major that was broken in the crash. It's got to be a boy thing, right?

Ryan and Carli said...

Oh my gosh, Poor kid. I can't believe that dent in the wall. He must have hit pretty hard. By the way, I hope you didn't take all of your boys with you to the doctor... I'm right around the corner ;)

Whitney said...

Ow!!! That stinks. But good thing it'll be off soon. I hope he's feeling better!

The Patterson's said...

Poor Clayton. We'll be over soon to pamper him. We just saw Dr Qeli today and we were talking about Clay. He didn't realize that Clay was surfing down the stairs. He said Clay gave him a little different of a story but he thought that it was hillarious. By the way, Blake's body cast is off and now he has a removable splint made of cast material. Yay!

Brock and Kristina said...

Ouch!!!! Poor guy! We used to 'sled' down our stairs all the time on sleeping bags. A little more safe???? Either way, he sure took a beating!! (and your wall too!) Glad he's doing better!

Anna Marks said...

Poor CLAY!!! Jason says he's so sorry and I know what will be the subject of his prayers tonight!! I guess every little boy needs a broken arm, right??

LIZ said...

Ouch! I am glad that he is alright. Looking at the dent in your wall it looked like it could have been much worse. I hope that he has a speedy recovery!

Amy said...

Boys will be boys...what a fun story and memory even with the broken arm.

Kelley Rae said...

Poor kid - especially with the water park stuff. But he's also been so cute with it - he even asked me if I wanted to sign it :)

Brooklyn said...

We all feel so bad for Clay! We were so happy that we could see you in Illinois! But alas, it was too short a visit--we miss you already! Em